Sunday, November 1, 2015

2015 Desert Bighorn Sheep Hunt Scouting Photos I

After the Super Big Game Raffle Desert Sheep was completed, I continued scouting for the December general season and it is a true blessing to have a client in a great unit.  It is very interesting to see how these sheep behave throughout the different months.  One thing that remains constant is that sheep move a lot and are the most nomadic animals that I hunt.  The best place to look for a big ram is anywhere but the last place you saw it!  Some weeks the rams are by themselves and some weeks the rams are with ewes.  I have been taking inventory and really enjoying being out in God's creation.  I love big chips in rams because they tell a story about that animal.  Each one of the rams that I have been watching has there own unique personality.  Some are lovers, some are fighters, some are loaners and some can't seem to stay away from their buddies.  It is funny how I have friends that are the exact same way.  The trick to scouting for desert bighorn sheep in my mind is to be constantly moving just like they are.  Don't stay in one spot too long.  It is important to take inventory of all of the sheep and remember the places that you see them.  They most likely will return to that spot over the next couple of months.  Another good rule of thumb is that they like to bed up high at night for safety.  Late evenings and early mornings they can often be found in the highest rocks and cliffs that seem unapproachable to humans and other predators.  I am fortunate to be named as a Globalstar/Spot Brand Ambassador and have thoroughly enjoying using the Spot Gen 3 GPS and Tracking device and the Globalstar 1700 GSP Satellite Phone.  I have actually owned the Satellite phone for over 10 years.  The service now compared to back then is not even comparable.  Globalstar spent one billion dollars on their satellites and it shows as the calls don't get dropped near as much and the service is lightning fast!  My wife really likes when I send her messages with the Spot Gen 3 from the backcountry letting her know that I am ok.  Scouting continues...





I have been blessed to have my client Craig D. from Washington make several trips down to scout with me.  He has been a pleasure to scout with!






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...